There is a new movie out called “In time”- The plot is simple: each person gets a finite amount of time to live but every person can win more time by doing certain things, such as saving the pretty girl or rescuing a city. Every time the hero does something right time is added to his life. Of course the baddies steal time and the good people need to get the cache of time back. Unfortunately, in real life we can’t get time back but we can use time wisely.
Here are 6 time savings ideas that are easy.
1) Before doing anything making sure you know what you want. Uncoordinated frenzied activity will lead you nowhere. Decide on what you want to do and then plan to do it. 5 minutes of planning can save hours of heartache. I know this sounds obvious but I can’t tell you the number of times I have seen the chicken without head syndrome from ‘experienced, mature’ managers.
2) If a software programme exists – use it. Don’t waste time doing something manually that a software programme can do automatically. It may cost a bit of money but normally your time is worth a lot more. One example of this is doing payroll manually. This is a waste of time. One word of warning: if you need to pay a professional to set the software up properly, do this. It will save you time and money in the long run.
3) Make sure everything works. Computers, phones, printers and computer programmes, anything that you need to use to get things done. There is no bigger source of frustration than something that does not work or gives the wrong information because it has not been properly set up.
4) Have a great filling system.Today online electronic filling (data storage systems) are common. They save you hours of searching and swearing looking for the right file. If it is online there is no need to keep a paper copy. Just log in and search. Paymaster can set up your online employee record facility, making sure that you have all the documents you need when you need them.
5) If you don’t have the skills use others. There is no bigger time waster than trying to do something you know very little about. Find someone who does and get them to do it. (just make sure you know what you want). Outsourcing certain aspects of your business can save you time and money.
6) Use the skills around wisely.Don’t use an accountant to process payroll (it is a waste of his valuable time) or use your payroll administrator to collect from creditors (there will be a conflict of timing and priorities – payroll or month end creditors) Make sure that the person doing the work is properly skilled.
7) Self service options save you an amazing amount of time. By this I mean the facility that allows others to access documents or outputs that you have created. No more getting phone calls when you are really busy to ask for information. Give others access to data they need. A good example is employee self service where employees collect their own payslips, apply for leave on line and change their own biographical data, freeing you to do the important work.
8) Speak to Paymaster.We can help you make sure that items 1-7 will become a reality in your life. We will exceed all your expectations. Phone us today.