Tax Tip #1
Who needs to submit an Income Tax Return (ITR12)?
- An individual (Provisional or non-provisional taxpayers)?
- Who earns up to R250 000 for the full tax year?
- From one employer (that’s your total salary income before tax) and
- You don’t have a car allowance, the right of use of a company car fringe benefit or any other form of income (e.g. interest or rental income) and
- Have no deductions that you want to claim for (for example like medical expenses, travel or retirement annuities)?
If you answered yes to all of the statements above, then you don’t need to submit a return.
What do I need to complete my Income Tax Return (ITR12)?
- Your Employee Tax Certificates [fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”][IRP5/IT3(a)s] which you will get from your employer/pension fund
- Medical certificates as well as documents for amounts claimed in addition to those covered by your medical aid.
- Pension and retirement annuity certificates
- Travel logbook (if you receive a travel allowance or use a company car)
- Tax certificates that you get from investment income [IT3(b)]
- Completed Confirmation of Diagnosis of Disability (ITR-DD), where applicable. See more information on our Tax and Disabilitywebpage.
- Information relating to capital gain transactions, if applicable
- If you have signed up to our Voluntary Disclosure Programme (VDP) then your VDP agreement between yourself and SARS for years prior to 17 February 2010, where applicable
- Financial statements, e.g. business income, where applicable. You may for example have a property which you rent out, so you will need to declare this income.
- Any other documentation relating to income you received or deductions you want to claim.
- Find out more of the important changes which have been made for Tax Season 2014.
- If you are visiting a SARS branch for an agent to help you submit your ITR12, you will need to take along proof of identity. Make sure you have a valid original or a temporary identity document/passport/driver’s licence. We won’t be able to help you, unless you have this with you.
How to submit your ITR12?
- If you’re not registered yet for eFiling, follow our simple and easy steps to register.
- If you want to file from a mobile device, download our Smartphone App .
- If you need help while eFiling online, you can access Help-You-eFile, a free service available to all eFilers. Simply click on the Help-You-eFile icon on your eFiling login page or at any point during your eFiling session to be connected, quickly, to a friendly SARS agent who will help you to complete your ITR12.
- You may ask a SARS branch agent to file it electronically for you. Find your nearest SARS Branch.
- Post it or put it in the drop box at a SARS branch.
Top Tip: See a list of the SARS branches that will be open on Saturdays from 8:00 – 13:00 during 5 July until 27 September 2014 to help taxpayers submit their ITR12.
Important Due Dates for Tax Season 2014
- By post or dropping it off in a SARS drop box – 26 September 2014
- Electronically at a SARS branch (provisional and non-provisional) – 21 November 2014
- Non-provisional taxpayers who use eFiling – 21 November 2014
- Provisional taxpayers who use eFiling – 30 January 2015.
Beware of scams
- SARS will never ask for your banking or personal details in any communication that you receive via post, email, phone or SMS
- SARS won’t send you hyperlinks to other websites – even those of banks.
Use a registered Tax Practitioner
- You can register for eFiling and complete and submit the return yourself or
- You can register for eFiling and obtain shared access from your preparer and then submit on eFiling the saved return completed by that preparer or alternatively
- You can visit a SARS branch to file your return.