10 hats worn the payroll professional a 11 week series presented by Paymaster
#proud payroll professionals.
week 1 day 1
A few months ago, while talking to a group of Payroll people I was asked , “what will the future payroll administrator look like”. and “what will be doing”
I must confess that I am biased. I love being in Payroll, I love serving my customers(employees ) and helping Management wherever I can. I am proud of what we do. BUT I am saddened by the image we have, the feeling of we are only noticed when things go wrong.
anyway let’s start this series:
we are not
- Retreaded staff with nowhere else to go
- Payroll is not the last step before retirement
- We don’t all have our hair in a bun and a scary frown on our face
- We don’t like being stuck away in corners
- We are not data captures.
- We are not there to bend the rules because you messed up and now don’t want to face the consequences.
what are we:
- Proud employees who have chosen administration as a career
- We love getting things right – it is in our nature
- We think about influencing strategy and understand what the company remuneration policy is and how it impacts strategy and results
- We are open and friendly but can be tough at times
- We love doing analysis, what if calculations
- Trusted – you have no idea of the secrets we keep – “especially when we like you”
Over the next 10 weeks we will be looking at the hats we wear and the challenges we face.
- interpreter of the law
- implementer of policy
- gatekeeper of compliance
- accurate keeper of information
- communicator of changes.
- who to ask what if questions
- trusted confidant/employee
- financial counsellor
- The problem solver.
- moral compass.
we will use five key words (one every day of the week) to focus your attention on subsections of hat (the subject at hand)
The 5 key words are :
Information – what does this topic mean
inspiration – why is this topic important for me
education: what do I need to know, (policy procedures, knowledge or consequence
community: a place where you can tell your story
Survey. let’s find out what we all think.
Join me on this journey of discovery and adventure. We will all learn something.