The constitutional court released a judgment on Tuesday the 13 September 2016.
The core of the Judgement emphasised:
- Only a magistrate can grant a garnishee order.
- The order must be after the employee has appeared and the magistrate has satisfied themselves that the order is reasonable.
- Must be in the same magistrate district as the employee.
If the garnishee order does not comply with the above, then it is not legal.
- Paymaster therefore advises it’s clients to check each new garnishee order signed after this date to ensure that it complies with the above.
- Garnishee orders sent to us will be processed as we will assume that you have verified that the order is legal.
- Where the garnishee comes directly to us, we will contact you to verify the legality of the order.
Any questions, please ask your Payroll Administrator.
Ian Hurst | Managing director
Contact Ian on 082 898 5006 or mail him at email@example.com for more details.